Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Little Things






What I'm loving today


Spanakopita- my lunch! This is a fabulous Greek dish kind of like a gourmet hot pocket. It's shredded spinach and crumbled feta cheese with very little seasoning to interfere, wrapped up in lovely filo dough. Om nom nom, I can't believe I used to not like this! And it's so fun to say. :) Mine was supplemented with baby carrots and my favorite roasted red pepper hummus.

Rainforest Cola- this is only 50 cents at Big Lots, and wow, I really enjoy it. It is an all-natural cola product, made with cane sugar and kola fruit extract. THEN they add acai berry extract, green tea extract, ginseng, and a few other things that are very good for you and give you pep. It takes effect like starting to pedal a bike, and winds down the same way. No spikes, no crashes. Just.... pep. :)

Bergamot- (BRRR-guhmow) Have you ever noticed that oranges are sweeter-smelling than lemons? Bergamot is a type of non-edible Mediterranean orange that is mostly harvested for its essential oil. It's like lemon verbena, only sweeter and a little more herb-y. Very unique fragrance.

The smell of Earl Grey tea- I still can't stand the taste, but I'm working on it! Earl Grey is a very strong black tea, infused with, guess what? bergamot! And jasmine and plum, oh my.... Too strong on the tea smell for me, though. (I have been traumatized by carafes of  burnt Lipton at square dances.) I prefer Lady Grey, with much sugar and a dash of cream.

My mascara- Maybelline "The Falsies" in waterproof. First of all, the tube is purple. I think purple is quickly becoming my favorite color. So that makes me happy just to pick it up! It is non-clumping yet adds the perfect pinch of definition. It's a thin formula, and get everything well coated. My lashes immediately look longer, which I love. And the waterproof part is very important! I used to just have the regular, and let me tell ya, in this heat wave it basically crept off my lashes with just the sweat from around my eyes. NOT good. But ish fine now with this one. So I have no complaints! Price was decent, just about 6.00.

The "Acousitc New Age" station on my Pandora- such a drab description for something so wonderful! New Age has ceased to just mean meditation music (Yiruma, anyone?) and is now a catch-all for some of the best liberties taken with a piano since Bach and Beethoven were labeled radicals. I have been customizing the heck out of it, and usually I run into more instrumental hymn arrangements than anything. It's like soaking music now, and perfect to read by.

My glasses- when your husband picks out JLo frames for you that highlight all your best features, you know he's a keeper. :) I also love being able to take them off when I want to and just....unfocus, lol. They add so much personality and dimension to my face, too.

 Clean clothes- which said husband of inestimable value stayed up until after midnight  to ensure that I had for today....fabric softener is superfluous when you have that kind of love poured on them.

The fact that I have a visible tattoo- ...and it's white. Seriously, this gives me a little thrill every time I look down at the dainty little hoof print on my left wrist. It's so...demure. So understated. I feel like I have had it forever.

An absence of bugs- this takes explaining. A few weeks ago--within the same day-- two big, fat, ugly, field crickets that I am STILL shuddering to recall showed up in my desk area at work. And last week a very large beetle or something was in the hallway. Ew. Ew ew EW! They give me the heebihdibuhgeebies. So we called the exterminator, mwhahaha.

[and of callers.]- the phones have been blissfully quiet today....

The acoustics of my iphone speakers- I have a mesh paper stand that angles the bottom of my iphone at 56 degrees to the formica of my desk top. Sound bounces wonderfully. I like playing with how the sound comes out by cupping my hand around the speakers and letting it bounce off my palm at different angles.



Being easily entertained is an art form. 
What can I say? 
I like having the ability to be content with the universe at a moment's notice. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment