Monday, July 2, 2012

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

I used to have a ginormous wishlist. It's still kinda long, but there are not nearly as many expensive things.
Do you know how fun it is to get to check something off that list? It's positively exhilarating!!
And with our current budget, if I had been so stuck on that 350.00 purse that might not have happened for a long time. But since I got the 80.00 one, I can feel the thrill and accomplishment and joy of a present for myself. Before, I would just stare at the list and drool and moan and pout that life wasn't fair and I could never have nice things.
A long time ago a pastor of mine said "Stress is the distance between your expectations and reality."
I will realistically never purchase a 350.00 purse. Dude, that is almost as much as rent. Or an appliance. Or a vacation, since I Groupon. Heck no am I schlepping my lip gloss and water bottle around in something like that!! Even if I was so wealthy that "money is no object," I could not get away from remembering that Old Me would have paid rent with that.
And anyway, when you spend that much you're really only paying for the brand or the artist's ego. Most of my favorite pieces have less expensive counterparts on etsy. The quality is generally better since etsy artisans make things by hand and are trying to build their rep with good products. The sweet spot is not more than 80.00, not less than 35.00, justsoyouknow.
I've given up trying to make myself look good in purple. I LOVE purple, but it makes me look uber pale and drawn. Blue is not even my favorite color, but it makes me look amazeballs. Yes, I went there.
My husband and I live in an apartment and share one car. But we are debt free and spend so much quality time with each other!

Your heart lives where your mind wanders. Being grudgy and bitter makes me feel like I'm living in a toadstool. Dark, dirty, and surrounded by sh*t.
Being thankful makes me feel like I live in a treehouse. Up above it all, making do with what God gave us and feeling like I'm the queen of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment