Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thoughts on Reaching a Venerable Age

(i am so going to laugh at this in a few years...)

Here it is, April 5th of 2011. The day on my driver's license that says I can get the red frame removed and get my orientation switched to horizontal. Alcohol, getting tried as an adult, whoopee.
The only part of that which excites me is that hopefully people will start treating me as an adult. Which I know isn't going to happen, but oh well. If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak.
I AM glad to the depths of my being that I won't have to have Joel order the drink I want out in public anymore, and that I can go buy the wine for Shabbat on my own. I don't want to party. I want to be a grown-up.
At the same time, a distracting part of me is nervous and shying away from leaving childhood behind. On this day, I straddle both worlds legally, though I have had various feet in and out for some time now. I have a lease and bills and car in my name. I am married, going on 2 years. I'm pregnant. I work a good paying 8-5 corporate job.
But I still make silly noises. I still get my feelings hurt. I still "need attention." I still like getting spoiled with presents. Maybe if I eradicate the most childISH traits of those behaviors, Papa will let me keep the childLIKE ones. And I think Joel will keep spoiling me and enjoying my noises no matter what.

Hello, World. Are you ready for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment